Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Faded Beauty Queens

Something that's been in my thoughts recently is the way that people can (perhaps frequently) fall in love with an idea. And I don't mean that in the sense of an advertiser falling in love with a concept for a campaign, or a Boston kid falling in love with the idea of one day playing for the Red Sox. I mean real life, amorous, arrow-through-the-heart lovestruck.

It's been my misfortune to spectate at close quarters on one particularly disastrous instance of this. It's tragically amazing really. Before I proceed, let me make myself clear. I'm talking about a woman falling for a charming man who seems chivalrous, funny, faithful and dreamlike, when in reality he's a cowardly sleazebag. But only after too long a period of time does this fact hit home, usually quite suddenly and forcefully. This is the point where the illusion shatters, and her preconception of this man dies. The sad truth is that he was never the man that she saw.

It makes the saying "love is blind" understandable.

I guess the moral of the story is look before you leap, to utilise a second catchprase in two sentences.

"Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah."

- Psalm 4v4

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Hey man.
Your post troubles me- do i know either of the involved; you don't have to give me names but it's pretty disturbing.

Take Care

Daniel

3:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Haven't applied my mind to to whom you may be referring, but either way...

Too true.

I could say more... but I won't.


Simply this...

As Augustine said, "Thee" being God:

"He loves Thee too little, who loves anything together with Thee, which he loves not for Thy sake."


Or as someone else said:

"We should go into love and relationships with our eyes wide open, and keep them half-shut after the vows are taken."


God guide us and open/close our eyes as He wills. May we love whom He gives us to love, for His sake.

3:22 PM  
Blogger TJC said...

Thankyou each for noteworthy comments.

Dan, I trust you received my email?

Speak to you both soon!

KTF

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home