Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Case for Hermits

Rippo
Three loveliest things -
moonlight, cherry-bloom, and now
I seek silent snow.
In my extensive research on hermits, I have come across many interesting facts concerning these elusive gentlemen and women - found in the origins of the ninth tarot card (no disclaimer inserted here, just don't mess around with tarot decks. Or ouija boards), the lives of 19th century poets and Taoism.
One traditional view of the hermit is as the formal ecclesiastic and reclusive forest wizard - found in the likes of such literary gems as Mort d'Arthur by Thomas Malory. It is interesting to note that such beings are often not the dour, people-despising, slightly unhinged that one might immediately conjur to mind upon hearing the word 'hermit'. In literature they are often depicted as self-sacrificial and compassionate, who have chosen the solitary path to further themselves spiritually. Which, ironically, could better enable these particular individuals to serve their fellow man, than if they inhabited the deepest recesses of human colonisation. Such a figure is found in the pages of the aforementioned Mort - in the episode in which Lancelot is wounded by the boar he slays. Upon the mysterious forest-dweller inquiring as to his need for medical assistance, he refuses (actually, he does more than this, he threatens the man), and the hermit leaves, incidentally bumping into another group of wayfaring knights. He requests their help in his mission, and they accept. Taking Lancelot to the recluse's hermitage, his wound is healed, but due to a fever and the consciousness of his sins, Lancelot cannot be healed spiritually (a little theological errancy here). Only the Sangreal - the Holy Grail - can help him. Staying with him overnight, Lancelot recognises the man's kindness and presuming a unique wisdom, asks him for advice concerning a dream. The insightful hermit reveals that Galahad is Lancelot's son.
More recent eremetical characters include Emily Dickinson, the poet and feminist; and Henry David Thoreau, the transcendentalist philosopher.
"You think that I am impoverishing myself by withdrawing from men, but in my solitude I have woven for myself a silken web or chrysalis, and, nymph-like, shall ere long burst forth a more perfect creature, fitted for a higher society." - H.D.T.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Hey there; I am liking your blog, Tom. I love your literary experimentations and especially stories from Mort D'Arthur and quotations from H.D.T. I could ramble on encouragingly, but I'll come to the crux...

Why am I listed at the top right as one of the contributors? Is this some kind of a disclaimer for any bad writing you might publish? Or are you trying to uplift my renown as a writer by letting me share in your glory? O are you actually waiting for me to post something?!

TC, SW, GB, TTFN, SYS, GN
cathy

2:58 AM  
Blogger TJC said...

The strength of your puzzlement is reflected only in an equal proportion by my own. Whilst your career might certainly be furthered by this honorary association with my revered name, this is not the reason for the scenario, much as I care for your literary aspirations and your general success in every area of life. Rather, it is more on account of my own ignorance as to the workings of editing a weblog, as to why this anomaly has occured. Please accept my most sincere and partially heartfelt apologies to any hurt / agony / amusement caused to you by this most fatal error of mine.

Keep it real sis xx

PS in your next post (and I hope there will be one), please treat me to an exposition of the meanings of SYS and TTFN (this one is particularly bothering me.. I keep telling myself - 'no, she's not that rude).

1:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What in the world?

I mean, thankyou for your exposition of the meaning of my name's presence as one of the contributors. Honoured as I am to be so mentioned, I fain must spend more time than I do on my labours for a medical career. As you have witnessed, my own online journal has suffered for this prioritising, so yours would inevitably experience the same fate.

As for your concerns as to the definitions of SYS and TTFN, I am amused to consider what TTFN could possibly be a contrived abbreviation for other than our renowned cartoon tiger's (begotten by A.A.Milne) favourite farewell, namely "Ta ta for now". It leaves me wondering whether you are sadly deficient in your knowledge of the works of A. A. Milne, versed as I know you are in the likes of Dumas and Shelley.

SYS was, I must admit, one of my own neologisms. I fear "neologism" is the wrong word, as I birthed a new abbreviation rather than a new word, but SYS in my creation stands for "See you soon", a vulgate English expression of the more beautiful "A bientot" or "Arrivederci".

With all of the abbreviations I included in my last comment, you may have noticed that, with the greatest respect for you and your writings, and in kind jest, I was feigning the results of your penchant for abbreviations such as KTF.

On a different subject, writing on your blog about abbreviations has made pleasant respite from writing about the endlessly fascinating, but disappointingly unfloral, workings of immunity in protecting a fetus from its mother's natural immune system.

Arrivederci,
cathy

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home